The Desiring God blog gave a summary of an older article from 1999. Today's post is called How to Help Your Boys Become Christian Men, and it has a link to the original, full-length piece. In the original article, Vern Poythress outlines the plan and process that he and his wife used. It's intense, and includes such projects as:
- Memorizing the books of the Bible
- Knowing Greek and Hebrew (tailored to age)
- Memorize a children's catechism
- Day-long personal retreat of prayer and fasting (with Dad)
- Serving the church and the needy
On the other hand, sometimes we think that raising kids to adults is as easy as a push of a button.
I think we'll fall somewhere in between requiring knowledge of Greek and Hebrew, and pushing a button.