- Great food
- A local resident made red velvet cupcakes on Monday
- A mom of a kid made cupcakes on Tuesday
- Fairfax First Baptist Church brought lunch for all the kids on Thursday. Chicken nuggets, mac & cheese, carrots, grapes, ice cream, and fruit drinks.
- Great servants
- Two college students from Grace Church came down for a day
- Another college student from Grace came on Wednesday, and is staying with us through the weekend
- An long-time friend and her niece came down to make jewelry with the kids and in the community
- And yet another college student is coming down tomorrow
- And these don't even include the 3 college and 2 high school students who have been a part of Allendale for the entire summer, including this past week
- (We're in a span of 7 days where we'll have 8 different guests spend at least 1 night in our house)
- Great programming
- We had a week of Olympics-style events, from ping pong to basketball, and from javelin (made with straws) to logic problems. Lots of good competition.
- We divided kids up into 4 teams, mixing up ages and genders. Loved seeing some of the older kids step up as leaders, even saying things to their teams like, "Let's all eat lunch together."
- Opening 7 x 20m relay race got the events off to a great start.
- Giving out medals and other awards at the end.
- Great conversations
- The competitiveness brought out some attitudes. This led to many opportunities for discussions about leadership, dealing with hardships, and respecting others.
- With some of the nice, not-so-athletic kids winning events, it was great to be able to see how encouraged they were. I asked one meek boy how he felt about winning a gold medal in table hockey, and he replied, "I feel really proud of myself."
|Goldilocks sleeping in Hannah's bed?|
We have one more week of camp coming up. Then, time for a break!