- Is My Child Ready for Communion? Part 1 and Part 2
- Baptism Before Communion?
- 10 Principles for Shepherding My Child Through Salvation and Baptism
I also have believed that a person should only be baptized after becoming a professing believer in Jesus. But I've been strict -- maybe too strict, and not always for the right reasons -- on what it means to be a professing believer in Jesus. It's a fine line to walk, especially since I carry a weight of responsibility for my children.
That's why I've been thankful for a couple of recent articles by Justin Taylor, writing for The Gospel Coalition. These have solidified some parts of what I've believed, and challenged other parts. But as a whole, they have helped me understand the grace and power contained in the gospel of Jesus Christ.
- The Fear of Baptizing Children. This article addresses what I refer to above as "not always for the right reasons." Instead of being motivated by hope, joy, and expectation, I am often hindered by my own fear and lack of faith. By restricting my son who wants to be baptized, have I -- as Julian Freeman puts it -- suffocated him?
- Once More on the Baptism of Children. Justin gives a few more resources to help the reader in this process.
I hope you enjoy these as well.