Recommended: Big Truths for Young Hearts

Big Truths for Young Hearts: Teaching and Learning the Greatness of GodI struggled with reading the first 30% or so of Big Truths for Young Hearts. I was expecting a family devotional, similar to the Family Nights series that I talk about here, in which I would be given a verse, some words to read to my kids, and then an activity to do.

But this book was so much better.

More than just another family devotional, Big Truths for Young Hearts explains profound theological truths on a level that an average parent could understand, and then teach to his or her school-age child. Each morning, I would read a three-page section to myself, and then during one of our meals during the day, I would summarize it for my family.  

I don’t know what I enjoyed most:
  1. Learning theology on a level I could comprehend.
  2. Exposing my children to important theology.
  3. My children thinking I am the world’s greatest scholar.

I’ll take option #4, which is “All of the above.”

I wrote extensively about this book on the Grace Church Children’s Ministry Blog, but go ahead and order your copy today.


Has anyone else used this book to teach your kids? What did you think?

2 comments :

  1. I'm a Children's Minister in Cincinnati, Ohio. I teach the 1st-5th grade class every week. I've been using this as my teaching curriculum every week for the last 26 weeks. We're about half way through it. I basically take the text of the chapter and re-write certain portions of it to put it in my own words. They I think of an opening activity and a closing activity and role with it.

    The kids have really been "getting it." It's great. I recommend it to the parents, and I have a "take-home paper" I send home every week that boils down the lesson content. So I'm teaching kids theology and their parents too. Some of the dads have told me they like the material too. That's great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea to use it as a curriculum. What is included in the take-home? is it just a summary, or does it include activities/discussions for the parents to lead?

    ReplyDelete