Homes Away From Home

"Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. . . . Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’" (Matthew 25:34-36, 40)

As most of you know, I have been working in Allendale County since the middle of January. In my interview (on a Wednesday), I was told that they would make a decision by Friday, and the job would start that Monday. I knew it would be quick start date, but I was caught completely off-guard by how fast this was moving. “I need . . . some . . . time,” I stammered. “Like, to find a place to live.”

We knew that it would take some time to get our family moved down, so I needed a temporary place to stay on Monday through Thursday nights. I was commuting almost every weekend (besides a short but much-needed mini-vacation and when a college mission trip was going on).

God has provided some awesome places and people to meet our need.


Keep reading on the Mission: Allendale blog.

2 comments :

  1. An absolutely delightful, uplifting post. Thank you. God is using you in Allendale, but He is also using you in your writing for whomever comes across this blog. Do NOT ever consider stopping. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for Allendale and the few of you who are doing WORK for the kingdom there. Thinking I'd like to meet Mike- he sounds awesome.

    Also, I had a the same experience when I lived w/ the Merritts (wow 3 whole summers ago now). They made me so welcomed that I felt (and still feel) like part of their family, which IS how the Body of Christ should be! What a blessing these people have been and an example of the very real and moving ministry of Hospitality.

    ReplyDelete