HOPE Relay Follow-Up

I didn't expect to still be thinking about the HOPE Relay, but my calves and quads won't let me forget the experience from 3 days ago.  I ran my first leg (3.6 miles) in 30:14, and my second leg (2.6 miles) in 25:01; that's 6.2 miles in 55:15.  Our team (BunchaNancies!) did the entire 42 mile course in 5:56:36.  Here are my reflections:


Favorite parts of the day:
At the finish.  Lilly, who has autism, is Scott's 5-year-old daughter.
  1. My three kids running up to me right after I crossed the finish line to give me hugs and kisses.  They were really excited for me.  
  2. Joanna and Hannah pouring themselves out to serve and lead others.  Over a period of about 7 hours, they had moments of high activity and hard work, with stretches of monotony and boredom.  They were diligent and responsible in their task, to make the day better for others.  They partnered with us, the other 39 teams, and the organizers of the event.
  3. Being with this group of guys all day.  We accomplished a big task, and there was so much encouragement amongst us.  I cannot count how many times I was told, "You did great!"  And even though I didn't feel like I did great, they meant what they said.


What I learned about myself:
  1. I had the easiest legs on the team, and that's a good thing.  There is no way I could have done any legs that were more difficult. 
  2. People say that once you start running and do your first race, it gets addictive.  Not for me.
  3. I didn't realize how much I've been missing out on "male-bonding" time like this.  I don't mean that I want to spend all day golfing or sitting around talking.  Instead, it's just an incredible feeling to be a part of a team that accomplishes a specific task that's bigger than each individual.  I haven't had enough of those experiences in the past 12 years.  

No comments :

Post a Comment