Why "A Different Way"?

"For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it."
Matthew 7:14

Here's a little about who I am:  First, I am passionate about what it is in my heart, but I am not claiming to be an expert in anything I will be talking about on this blog.  Yes, I tend to come across with confidence, and even arrogance.  And I'm often wrong, or at least I can't always clearly communicate what I am thinking. 

Second, I have been blessed with a number of mentors in my life, whether personally, through work, or just by me reading and listening to their teaching.  God has given me a number of people, especially men, who I could watch and imitate as I seek to grow in Christ.  So, most of what will be written about is just an outflow of what has been poured into me.

Therefore, even though I am calling this blog "A Different Way," here is what I am not saying:
  1. That the way I think or do things is the right way.  It's just different than some other ways.
  2. That the way I think or do things is original.  (I had a boss that taught me, "Creativity is just a matter of forgetting your sources.")  After all, there is "nothing new under the sun" (Ecclesiastes 1:9).
  3. That this is necessarily God's way for you.  
What do I hope to do is share concepts that will provoke thinking, questions, and discussion.  We all come with biases and presuppositions; that's just a part of being human.  Where it gets dangerous is when we refuse to examine and question those biases.

Related Link:
image courtesy of mzacha via sxc.hu

3 comments :

  1. Joey - you did a great job with the amoral issue of Santa. I would love to see you take a similar approach to school choices. Would love to read interviews from parents who have chosen public, private (secular), christian, home school. -Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Funny you should say that. I have that idea in my head to write a post about that, from wisdom that we were given years ago. But an interview format would be great, too. I wonder who I can convince to do that . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! I've run into a lot of folks who either seem defensive about their school choice or feel inferior about their choice when it is different from another family's. It would be great to see a discussion on that topic. Susan and I have had it numerous times with different individuals.

    ReplyDelete