For the 10 years that I worked as a chemist, I packed myself the same lunch nearly every day: turkey (or ham) sandwich, baby carrots, apple (or pear), pretzels, cookies.
Even when we go out to eat, I tend to order the same foods. As you can tell, I love routines and don't mind eating the same foods over and over.
So this month, my goal was to expand my palate by trying new foods. I was not brave enough to try the variety of pork and beef items from the IGA. But I did make a point to try these foods. . . .
Foods I Tried
- Shrimp Egg Foo Yung. I got this from the local Chinese restaurant. I give the restaurant "two thumbs up," but not this dish. It was too greasy for me. I did eat it all, but I only tried a taste of the gravy. Seems like a weird combination to have gravy with it; maybe it's a Southern thing.
- Chile Relleno and Chalupa. I think I've had both of these before, but I wanted something different when we went to our favorite Mexican restaurant around, (i.e., the only Mexican restaurant within 30 minutes of Allendale). While the relleno may be slightly more healthy (it's a green pepper!), I don't like the texture of the pepper. Next time, give me a tortilla. The chalupa is authentic, not the completely different entree you get from Taco Bell. And that's definitely a good thing.
- BelVita Breakfast Biscuit. Before football practice one day, I needed a snack. I saw these on the cookie aisle. They looked healthy (especially with fiber to keep you feeling full), reasonably priced (less than four bucks for 5 packs of 4 crackers each), and I wanted something new. I was surprised how great they tasted (I had the golden oat flavor). I might have to get these again sometime.
- V8 Vegetable Juice. This stuff is great for you if you are on a diet. Why? Because it will make you lose your appetite. I mean, I like tomato soup, I love salads, and I love raw vegetables. So how could something made from just vegetables taste so horrible? Pass me a salad, even without dressing, any time. Ugh.
- Lime Wheat Thins. Deliciously awesome. Awesomely delicious. Best new food I ate all month.
Have you ever eaten any of these foods? What's your opinion?
September Small Thing: Wash Dishes Every DayMy wife and kids are going to love next month's goal (shhhh.... Don't tell them. I'm going to wait and see if they read this blog post). I am going to wash the dishes at least once every day (my kids usually do it in the morning, and my wife at night).
I'll probably just alternate whether I wash in the morning or at night. Or they may all get lucky and I wash all the dishes that day.
I love my family, and they do work hard. This month will just be a small way that I can serve them and show them how much I appreciate them. It's just 1 small thing.