2 Dozen Pieces of Advice for Parenting Young Children

From Steve McCoy:

There's a lot of parenting advice out there. Some is great. Much of it is lacking. Some is downright harmful. . . .
We've gotten advice from books, other parents, pastors, and our own parents. We've taken courses on parenting and had one pastor/wife and family that we learned much from and watched closely as they did so much right (radically different than most parents we'd ever seen).
I wanted to share some advice for things I feel we have learned and that not enough folks are talking about. At its core, this list is a quick mind-dump of the practical advice I want to give parents with young kids after years of doing it. By no means do we do all of this perfectly. I assume you know that already.

McCoy rightly cautions that his list is not exhaustive, unordered, simple, practical, and not dealing with the important issue of rules versus grace.

I agree with most of his list (though I've fallen short of most of his principles). Here are five that I most needed to be reminded of:
  • Believe Kids Are a Blessing
  • Teach "First Time Obedience"
  • Pre-Event Preparation
  • Kiss Your Spouse in Front of Them
  • Play with Your Kids

For a brief explanation on each point, and to read the entire list, read the full article.

Related Links:

No comments :

Post a Comment