Stacey Eastin has written a great article about homeschool and public school. She comes from a perspective of having children who are in both education options.
On her blog, she doesn't give commands or how-to about education. She gives cautions from her own experience and observations. No matter what you views are about schooling, I highly recommend you read her thoughts with an open mind and heart.
Her reminders for us all:
- Good (and bad) kids emerge from all schooling situations
- The public school can do some things better than you (or, you can do some things better than the public school)
- All mothers have regrets
- All mothers (and people in general) have to guard against pride
This last point is especially crucial. If you are like me, it's a short path from a preference to a myopic perspective to pride to condemning others.
Some of the best parents we have known have not only considered each education option (public, private, home), but have also switched between them as the needs of each of their children required.
Be sure to read the full article.
- Summary: Education Options for Your Children
- Response to "A Case for Homeschooling"
- Homeschool Families: Myths and Lies
- The Blessings of Public School
**image courtesy of DesignSnapshot via flickr