Halloween Thoughts

I think he will be "Underwear Head"
In years past, our family enjoyed trick-or-treating in the neighborhood. As I wrote in 2009, we downplayed the "spooky" and occult aspects, but this was a great opportunity to have fun and to engage with our neighbors.

Oh, and Joanna and I got to confiscate all the Mounds and Almond Joys that our kids brought home.

But in Allendale, I don't think there is much door-to-door trick-or-treating. The schools do events, and I think some churches do "Trunk-or-Treats" (though I'm sure it's nowhere near the scale or extravagance that occurred at Grace Church). We'll figure it out, and go with the flow -- not to assimilate in the culture, but to engage it, as we live in this community.

There, I'm glad that I wrote about Halloween. Now, maybe I won't feel bad for neglecting to do so.

What about you? What are your plans for Halloween this year?

Related Links:

3 comments :

  1. For the first time, we're ALL dressing up. As The Incredibles. We'll trick-or-treat in our neighborhood, probably go to Boo in the Zoo, maybe do a progressive thing with neighbors the week before. Our house is decorated for fall. The same decorations will remain through Thanksgiving. Oh... and Tommy and I will consume way too much candy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you wrote about Halloween. We do trick-or-treat as a family in our neighborhood. However, our family discussion last night centered around an 8 1/2 year old male who feels the need to carry a chainsaw or bloody knife. What is the deal with that? I would much prefer to be seen with Underwear Head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelley -- so proud of you guys. You'll definitely be some of the few parents who are actually earning the candy this year.

    Aimee -- in itself, I don't have a problem with my boys with guns, knives, etc. But how we frame it for them is how it might make others feel. I don't mind my boys drawing pictures of cannons shooting people's heads off; I do mind if they show it to another more sensitive child, and it upsets them.

    I'm still not sure how this applies to Underwear Head.

    ReplyDelete