Knowing My Wife

Everything Men Know About WomenHere are some of the reviews listed on Amazon about Everything Men Know About Women:
  • "In a little more than 100 pages, Dr. Alan Francis distills years of research and thousands of interviews to reveal the most comprehensive understanding of men's knowledge and understanding of the opposite sex."
  • "Finally, the most accurate book on the subject, perfect for any coffee table ."
  • "The perfect gift for your significant other on Valentine's Day, or for the groom celebrating his upcoming nuptial."

What's the big deal about this book, that only costs about $5?  (At that price, if you are close to getting free Super Saver shipping, it might be worth adding this to go over the minimum.)   Well, there is nothing in it but 128 blank pages, because, as one review says, "what do men really know about women?"

It's true that I have much to learn about my wife, Joanna.  As written in I Peter 3:7, I need to consider my wife, to be a student of her as I seek to show her love.  Each year, I am more and more amazed at how much I still learn about her; what does this say about the next 40, 50, or even 60+ years?

In the same way, Joanna is growing in her knowledge of me.  To be honest, I am a complicated and needy individual.  Joanna is patient and forbearing, hard-working and discerning.  I could not have asked for a better or more-suited partner for me in life.  She is growing in her knowledge of me, but this is possible chiefly because she is growing in God and learning what it means to be a woman who reflects God's image.

The Man Whisperer: A Gentle, Results-Oriented Approach to CommunicationI recently read a review of a book called The Man Whisperer: A Gentle, Results-Oriented Approach to Communication.  Like the reviewer, I applaud many of the basic principles which line up exactly with Biblical teaching, like kindness, forgiveness, respect, etc.  However, where I am concerned is when it comes to motivation.  According to the authors of this book, these authors encourage women to build up their men so that they can get what they want.  In contrast, the Bible teaches that true love always is motivated by the best interest of others (Philippians 2:3).  Even more, a husband and wife should not only aim to put their spouse ahead of themselves, but to glorify God in their marriage

Joanna and I fail so often and in so many ways in our marriage.  But not only is the gospel powerful enough to break the power of sin (which manifests itself as pride and selfishness in our marriage), but it is powerful enough to redeem what our sin has broken.  Our prayer is that we can grow in putting God's glory and each other's needs ahead of our own desires.

No comments :

Post a Comment