Fall Reading (Back to School!)

Yes, it's almost time for your kids to go back to school. But we parents must be constant learners.

Every now and then, friends and acquaintances ask me what books and resources I recommend. And sometimes I recommend some without being asked.

Most of the books that I'm recommending here are older ones. But I find that most newer ones either aren't as good, or are variations on the same theme. If I was starting over again with a family, I'd be sure to read these books over and over.

Books

Shepherding a Child's Heart (Tedd Tripp). No doubt, the best parenting book, as it calls the reader to continually focus on the gospel.

Age of Opportunity (Tedd Tripp). Almost a continuation of Shepherding, as it speaks more to parents of teenagers.

Don't Make Me Count to Three! (Ginger Plowman). Same focus on the gospel (though not as deep) as above, but with more practical application.

Hints on Child Training (H. Clay Trumbull). An old book, but with some very valuable and relevant applications.

The Story of Me, et al (Stan and Brenna Jones). Though it has some shortcomings, this series of four books would be a great start to having "sex" talks with your children. We have bought Passport to Purity and will soon start going through that material with our oldest.

What Did You Expect?? (Paul David Tripp). A book on marriage, not parenting. But healthy marriages tend to produce healthy children. And, as with all his books, the reader will gain a better understanding of the how the gospel should be the focus of our lives.

Blogs

Articles from these sites are always informative and challenging:

I still have many books on my shelf that are in my "to-read" list. Lots of learning to do!

Happy reading!

Related Links:

**image courtesy of lusi via rgbstock.com

No comments :

Post a Comment