Love Them Into the Middle Class

A Framework for Understanding PovertyIn A Framework for Understanding Poverty, Ruby Payne describes the unique skills required to live (and survive) in different socioeconomic environments. (Confession, I haven't read this entire book yet; but I have skimmed through parts, and Joanna has read it already.)


Hidden Rules Among Classes
There are some "hidden rules" for each class that you are expected to know (and you probably do know them if you live in that class). For example, people of wealth are expected to serve on boards, read menus in French, buy the works of a particular artist, and hire decorators for the holidays. Not my life for sure.


Keep reading on Mission: Allendale . . .

2 comments :

  1. Great thoughts Joey. This community is fortunate to have your family among them.

    "So that's what we'll do. We'll talk to these kids about opportunity. We'll give them a vision for what the future will be like. We'll say things like "You are going to get a good job" and "You'll be a good husband/wife/father/mother." They will hear it from us over and over, until they know that this is what we hope for in them."

    I do this daily at work in small ways with nervous kids. I know you will do great, I heard you were really good at opening your mouth, I chose you to be here now because I knew you would be a great example for the boy/girl next door... If you start with "you have to sit still"... you're already implying that they can't do it, so they won't. If I'm honest I do this with my kids at bedtime too. In a low, slow, sleepy voice "you're eyes are very tired and sleep will feel so good!"

    We aren't what we eat, we are what people tell us we are (for better or worse). This is why we grown ups need to hear the Gospel again and again and again. Remind me that I am forgiven, loved, made with a purpose, valuable.... Tell me who I am in Christ.



    "We want these kids to experience success, not because we want to devalue their culture and experiences. Instead, we hope that Christ will redeem their circumstances for His glory and for their own benefit."

    I don't think I've heard this put any better. We are praying for y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Rob, for your thoughts here and continual encouragement.

    I like what you said about the reason grown ups need to hear the Gospel over and over. I need that so much.

    As you know, I mess up with the kids down here at least as much as I help them. But God is bigger.

    ReplyDelete