We Partied Like It Was 1999, Because It Was 1999


Twelve years ago today is when Joanna and I started dating.  Truly, we did party like it was 1999.  We started dating on March 3, got engaged on July 18, and married on December 11.  Oh, and in August I received my Master's degree and started my career.  Thank you, Prince, for capturing the memory for us (even though you wrote the song in 1982).

Joanna and I had gotten to know each other through a singles Bible study group, playing ultimate frisbee and having other fellowship events, and mostly through serving together at Carpenter's Cellar Coffeehouse (anyone else remember that?).  She ran the place (open every weekend, usually with bands on Friday and Saturday nights), and I helped by getting drinks at Sam's Club, and by serving when I could.  There were many quite Sunday afternoons where we had the chance to talk and get to know each other on a deeper level.

Probably the greatest part of all the time that we spent learning about each other was that there was no romantic interest on either of our parts.  (I still don't believe her, but whatever.  Maybe she was wounded because the first time I met her I totally blew her off.)  We were in a great season in life where we were each growing in Christ and focused on Him.

But over time, the Spirit was working in our hearts, individually.  Feels of attraction and admiration grew.  And on this date in history, I had my first job interview, and to celebrate, Joanna cooked me dinner (fajitas!).  And, well, as they say, "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach."

Of course, there is more to the story (did I leave out the part that not long before we started dating, I was pretty sure that God wanted me to be single the rest of my life, and I was excited about it?).  But I just want everyone to know how blessed I am to have a partner, an Ezer, in Joanna.  If I had to go back 12 years, I would do it all over again.

If you are married, give your spouse a shout out right now.


Related Links:

4 comments :

  1. Love this post! Thankful to have known you both during that season...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan and I started dating 15 years ago this year. (but we are still younger than you and Jo) Before that, we had known each other for 4 years. And he still wanted to marry me, knowing all about my '90s fashion (and all that sin stuff too). So, thankful for my best friend and leader of our family Ryan Burns!

    For the record, I'm glad you heard God wrong and married Joanna. And had those 3 great kids of yours as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great story joey! thanks for sharing! yall are well yoked for each other and have the ultimate yoke in your lives...our awesome GOD!
    ps...for the record, i remember when 1999 was popular (in 1982) and that seemed like FOREVER away. whew, then i blinked and it came and went. HA!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I can't remember when I first hear that song (I definitely wasn't around in '82). That year - 1999- was rather miserable for me, but I am glad that you had so much to celebrate. It seems to me like half the time G-d often plans things in defiance of our expectations. This has proven for me immeasurably better than what I ever could have hoped for. May you have many, more years of divinely blessed not being single! Happy belated anniversary! :)

    ReplyDelete