Learning About Children from a Guy Who Doesn't Have Any

Meeting the Expert
The day before I met Kory Kraft, I had an interview with the Boys & Girls Club of Southern Carolina, applying for the Unit Director position in Allendale County. I had already set up the lunch with him, to learn about how to run an after school program. (Good timing, since within a few hours after lunch, I had the job offer, and would start working at the Club in less than a week.) Help was most definitely needed.

Kory had been serving and leading at The Frazee Center for about 4 years now. He went from not knowing much about young children, to serving, to now being over programming for multiple grade levels (including dozens of children) every afternoon and through the year. I knew he would have a lot of advice to offer me.

The Expert’s Counsel
He walked me through the schedule that they use for different age groups and some good programming ideas. We talked about what he loves about working with this ministry.  

But when I asked what he wished he knew before starting with this ministry, what he feels is most important, he paused. He couldn’t initially think of anything, saying he was still learning a lot. At first, I really had to work to get things out of his brain, but then he easily came up with these ideas:

Read the rest of this post on the Mission: Allendale blog.


2 comments :

  1. Joey,

    I particularly like the point on "from the child's perspective." So much of what we do - both in after school programs and in children's ministry in the church is done from what makes the adult's feel good.

    It must go deeper than just the "child's perspective" though - it must go to what does the child truly need? You might approach that real need from the "child's perspective" - but then you may not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, Wanda. It can't just be "what the child wants," but what he also needs. Kory did say more than just what I summarized, and he (and I) would agree with you. Leadership is not just giving those under your care whatever they say they want. Kids, for sure, need structure. But Kory gave me a great reminder to think about what we do through their eyes.

    ReplyDelete