Write to Your Kids, in a Bible

I read Jonathan Parnell's idea -- Dads, Write in Your Bible -- a few months ago, and have been mulling it over since then.

The idea is to get a Bible for your child and make notes in it, as a way to pass on meditations, wisdom, and spiritual insight. I thought this would be another way to bless my children. And I have been taking notes in my own Bible for years now.

But I've been hesitant to start this. After all, Jonathan encourages us to do keep this project going for a long time, like at least 10 years. And that's where I shy away, thinking it's too late, since my kids are already ages 12, 10, and 7, and my thought would be to give this to them when they were teenagers or as a graduation present. Have I missed my window?

But then I figure, "Who says I have to do this project for that long? Or who says that I have to give it to them before they go off to college?" I need to remember that there are no firm "rules" (which I would love to have, normally). Anything I do, for however long, is better than doing nothing.

So, at some point this year, I'm going to start this. I'll buy a Bible, and start taking notes and highlighting verses. And at some point in the future, I'll give it to them. Simple as that.

I won't do it every day, at least not at first. I will ease into this.

Dads and Moms -- What about you? Will you try something like this?

Whether your kids are younger or older than mine, I think this is a fantastic idea, and there is no better time to start than now. Be sure to read Jonathan's article to get a complete explanation of the reasons for doing this.

Who's with me?


Related Links:

No comments :

Post a Comment