Just Like Me

Introducing him to one of my favorite childhood games
Today is my older son Elijah's 10th birthday. Double-digits is big time.

What I've been thinking about lately is how much he reminds me of myself when I was his age:
  • enjoys reading
  • enjoys and is refreshed by sitting on his bed and reading a book
  • loves games, including chess and video games
  • probably plays video games too much (though I was worse)
  • loves (and is good at) science and math

He also has some advantages over me. I think he is definitely smarter than I was at his age. He and works harder than I did with household responsibilities.

We also have the same struggle with pride and self-focus. I am sure that I was much worse, and I still am.

When I see Elijah struggle with pride and selfishness, I am concerned because I've seen the damage it has done in my life and in the lives of those around me. When I see him struggle with this, I feel compelled to call him out, and to call him back to the gospel. I am teaching him truths (as I preach to myself), such as Proverbs 12:23.
"A prudent man conceals knowledge, 
But the heart of fools proclaims folly."

One other way that we are both alike. . . . As a child, I know I was loved, and he is loved as well. I love him enough to accept him unconditionally, just as he is (strengths and shortcomings and all), and I love him enough to help him become all that God wants him to be. I try to love him in this way, just as the Father loves me.

In giving me a son that is just like me in many ways, my heavenly Father has once again revealed Himself to me.


No comments :

Post a Comment