What Are Your Biggest Fears?


A few weeks ago, I was asked, "What are your biggest fears?" Here's what I came up with:
  1. Letting others down because I didn't do well enough.
  2. My kids not following and trusting in Jesus, especially if it's because of something I did to embitter them. (See #1)
While it felt good to write down these truths in my journal, I felt ashamed. I wanted to have more faith, but my heart was heavy with worry.

The next day, I was told to name one truth that counters each of these fears. Almost immediately, God gave me these truths:
  1. My value is not based on my performance, but on the fact that I am created in the image of God, and I am loved by Him.
  2. Jesus loves my kids more than I love them.

As soon as I journalled these truths, my heart was lightened. Whereas worldly fear paralyzes, God's truth frees and gives life.

It's not that fear is a bad thing in itself. Fearing God is a good and worship-filled response, and there is joy and blessing in fearing Him (Psalm 128).

And in Psalm 130:4, we learn that we first receive God's forgiveness, and then we learn to fear Him. Forgiveness before fear. Most religions have those two steps reversed.

You see, there is nothing wrong with fear, as long as it comes from the right place (a response to a loving God), and as long as it is directed to the right thing (honoring that same powerful God).

The next time I grow worrisome about my abilities (especially my parenting abilities), I need to remember how much God loves me, and how much He loves my children.

What about you? What is your biggest fear? What truth counters that fear?

Related Links:
**image courtesy of wilderdom via flickr

No comments :

Post a Comment